Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Buzz off by Hannah Reed



Book: Buzz off by Hannah Reed

Series:
A Queen Bee Mystery

Published:
2010Link
Extras:
Honey based recipes

Plot (Goodreads):
It's September - National Honey Month - in Moraine, Wisconsin. After her mentor in the honey business is found suspiciously stung to death in his apiary, beekeeper Story Fischer must sort through a swarm of suspects, including her ex-husband.

My four-sentence or less take on the plot: Story Fischer is shopowner who is also dabbling in beekeeping. Her beekeeping mentor is murdered, honeybees are implicated, and Story and her ex-husband are both potential suspects.

Rating:
6

What worked: I liked the beekeeping concept--it was different, which is saying quite a bit in the cozy mystery world.

What didn't: I hated (HATED) the bulleted points that are sprinkled throughout the book. It also felt like I was reading a guidebook about Wisconsin at times. I expect to learn during a cozy mystery but I don't expect it to be so obvious. I know the character of Story's mom was supposed to be off-putting but she was so incredibly unlikeable it was distracting.
The cheating ex-husband in a small town trope is getting pretty played out in cozy mysteries.

Keep reading?
I will give the next book a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment